05 May 2010

A Bit of Discouragement

This evening I planned out the rest of my degree program. Even if I am able to pull off a superhuman effort and take 9 credits of upper division classes per semester, it will take about 5 school years after the upcoming deployment to finish my degree. That would place me at about 35 years old. My day job is somewhat flexible when it comes to hours, but many of these classes are only offered in the daytime, so I may not even be able to get 9 credits per semester. Summer sessions are pretty much out since it seems I've always got my two weeks of annual training right smack dab in the middle of the shortened semester. The lesson in all of this is that if you're going to finish school, finish it while you're young and relatively free of other commitments. Otherwise you will be grouchy and not sleep for like fifteen years trying to get your degree. And you'll whine about it on your blog. I'm not cutting my hair all emo, though. You can, but I'm not.

2 comments:

  1. For my wife to get her double major and her master's degree? Ten years she'll have spent in school. She's got like 2.5 years left. School can be a long haul, but so worth it in the aftermath.

    Hang in there buddy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sure it will be all right and worth it in the end, but I want an Oompa Loompa now! I'm hoping BSU will move more classes to evenings and online so that I will be able to fast-track a bit more.

    ReplyDelete