03 September 2007

My wife and I went to Wal-Mart the other night, and they had restocked their Transformers section, so I finally got my Optimus Prime figure. So I've been playing with that a bit. Large robots are awesome, especially large fighting robots.
I cleaned up my Space Marine sprues today and hosed them down with primer. I planned on priming them and working on my Orcs for a while, but it got late a little faster than I expected. The Orcs will have to wait, as tomorrow I'll probably be spending some time doing my homework. With drill weekend coming up I won't have time to do the last-minute schoolwork thing, so I had better get started on it tomorrow.
I've been doing some more debating on the WWII skirmish gaming. I went through my two Skirmish Campaigns books and made a list of all the vehicles and infantry I'll need for all the scenarios. I also wrote down how many buildings of various types I would need. Then I went through the GHQ site and priced it all out in 6mm scale. It's pretty pricey, but not as pricey as 15mm.
After reading several reviews on the Wargames Nordalia site I decided to go with the Quality Castings/Battle Honors line of figures. So I went to the Old Glory 15s site and started pricing it out. I got frustrated as it was going to be a lot of money, probably the equivalent of buying a 3000-point Warhammer army all at once. Then I noticed a link to their Buyer's Club, which you pay $50 to join and then get a series of discounts based on how much you spend over the course of the year. For the money I would be shelling out, there is a 40% discount. That takes the price for all the 15mm stuff fairly close to the price for the 6mm stuff. So that complicates things a little. I still have the problem of finding a place to game in 15mm, but to have all of that stuff in a larger scale at that price would be pretty cool. I guess I've got a couple months to think about it.
In the meantime, I need to start doing some research on how to paint all that stuff. So far all I've painted is Fantasy and Sci-Fi, so I haven't had to deal with historical accuracy at all. I guess you could call my Pirates historical, but as they are Pirates, they really don't have much of a set uniform. All the research is one of the things that intimidates me about historical gaming. I'm not even sure where to start looking for uniform and vehicle colors. Perhaps there is an Osprey book or three that could be of use? I'll probably start a thread on The Miniatures Page asking for sources. I'm not opposed to doing the research myself, but it would be nice to have a starting point. I need to start looking at terrain options as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment