14 August 2007

Today between games of NCAA 08 I painted up my first Space Marine. He stands up decently to the arms-length rule, not quite so much when you look at him close up. I'm pretty happy with the way he turned out, and now I've only got some 1100 more to purchase and paint.
This particular figure is a member of 2nd Company, 2nd Squad. I've decided to start with 2nd Company, as it is the first real line unit in the Chapter. I'll end up painting some Terminator squads from 1st Company and some Scouts from 10th Company while I work on 2nd Company, but for the most part I'm going to try building up one Company at a time. As far as identification goes, the yellow on his shoulder pads, knee, and Boltgun signifies that he is in 2nd Company, and at some point I'll designate squad number and type via decals on the shoulder and knees. I had planned to buy the molded shoulderpads from Games Workshop, but at $1 apiece, I was looking at spending $2000 on shoulderpads alone. Decals are much cheaper.

At some point I need to finish my Skaven army and start on my Orcs and Goblins, but I find I work faster if I jump from project to project based on whatever I feel most excited about. I also need to start working on my pirate tavern, but I'm not sure exactly where to start with that project.

There are rumors of a Warhammer Mighty Empires campaign locally, but I don't know if my schedule will allow me to play. I'd really like a chance to play my 2250-point Skaven army and get the Dogs of War Giant out on the table. I spent two weeks painting him so he'll probably just die in the first round of shooting, but I do want him to see some action on the table.

This week I clinched a berth in the TMP Fantasy Baseball League playoffs. A playoff spot in that league is important because there is a fair-sized pile of miniatures on the line. My team has dominated for much of the season, but I ran rampant through the TMP Football League last year and lost in the first round of the playoffs. Once the playoffs start it's anybody's game. I should get a couple of Fantasy Baseball trophies this year, and hopefully the football season will be good to me. I've been enjoying my spot as the unofficial TMP Fantasy Sports Coordinator. Everyone has been quite sporting this year, and no one has given up, whuch makes for a better season all around. Even the last place team is still making roster moves and trying to beat their opponents every week.

No comments:

Post a Comment