09 June 2006

My New Car

Well, the car down in Vegas didn't work out due to some poor communication on the part of the seller. I sent out about four e-mails, four messages on eBay, and called approximately seven times to try to set up a time and place to meet up so I could make my flight plans, and the people ignored me entirely until today, at which point they called and asked where I was and made a bunch of excuses about how they didn't get any of my e-mails or phone messages. According to their auction, they wanted 35% within 48 hours, but as of that time they hadn't even sent me any contact information or preferences on how to get the money from me to them. We both agreed not to leave any feedback on the transaction and I think they were happy for the chance to try to sell the car for a little more money than what I bid for it. They seemed pretty flaky from the getgo and I wasn't about to fly down to Vegas if I wasn't 100% sure that I would be able to get in touch with them and come home with the car. I didn't want to risk $600 (two round-trip tickets) on people who don't answer their phones and e-mails when they sell a car. So that went poorly.

Here's the good news. I found another car in the local classified ads. It's a 1986 Nissan 300ZX. I called the guy this morning after I got done with the yahoos in Nevada and he said to stop by his hangar (he runs an airplane dealership) in the afternoon. So we did. We took it for a test drive and kicked the tires a little and decided that it was good to go. There are a couple of cosmetic things wrong with it, but nothing that can't be either ignored or fixed. Everything important works well. We bought it and drove it home. We paid $2300 for it and it lists for about $4000. I like it a lot. Here's a picture:

No comments:

Post a Comment