22 July 2008

I've been working on 11 more Orc Boyz to fill out my Warboss' unit. The other eight figures in the unit were painted several months ago. So far I've just got the skin painted, which on the Orcs takes a lot of time. On Skaven it was just a basecoat and some ink and the skin was done, but on Orcs I have to paint three successive layers of green that follow the contours of the musculature.

Tonight I've been listening to the 40k Radio podcast while painting. Not surprisingly, this podcast focuses on the Warhammer 40k game. So far it's pretty decent. If you're into 40k and like listening to podcasts I'd recommend it.

I think it is somewhat odd that my first interest in wargaming was on the historical side of things (WWII to be exact), but I still haven't really started any historical projects. For reasons that I will touch on in my real-life rant below I doubt that I'll be starting any historical projects soon, rather focusing on painting what I've already got, which is a whole lot of Warhammer Fantasy, Lord of the Rings, Mordheim and Reaper CAV figures. I'd really like to get dug into a World War Two project, though, and build a force of all the slick new Warhammer 40k Space Ork models.

On the real-life front it's been a pretty stressful week. Over the last week there have been some big changes at my workplace. There were some shake-ups in the upper levels of the company and along with those changes and the pressures of the slow economy we've had some meetings about the company moving from an emphasis on quality and claims reduction to a new focus on cutting costs and hours. If that weren't bad enough, a couple days after that move was announced we had another meeting during which we were informed that someone higher in the food chain had realized that the company could save a lot of money if all the full-time dockworkers got bumped to part-time status and lost their benefits packages. I've already started getting fewer hours and now I stand to lose my medical coverage too, just before the baby gets here and we need it most. So I've been looking for another job without a lot of luck. Most of the full-time jobs I've looked at pay between 1/2 and 2/3 the wage I get currently and the benefits packages don't kick in until six months after hire. By that time the kid will be at least two months old. Anything that pays equal to or more than I make now requires a degree or some sort of specialized training. I may have to suck it up and try to find a full-time position wearing the military uniform. I'm not particularly fond of the army life, but personal preference takes a back seat to taking care of the family. I realize that there are people struggling everywhere but on an individual basis it is extremely frustrating. Things were going very well a couple of weeks ago, and now I'm scrambling to figure out how I'm going to feed my family and pay for this kid to get into the world. I also had to drop the classes I was going to take this fall because I will more than likely try to find a full-time job with benefits and stay on with my current company as a part-timer just so I can save money to go to school and get out of this menial labor crap. Sorry to bring real life into my hobby blog, but sometimes you've got to vent a little bit.

No comments:

Post a Comment