16 October 2009

The Other Hobby Shop

I think I mentioned a few posts ago that I'd stopped at one of the other hobby shops in town. They used to be in the middle of downtown in a horrible (for me) location, so I'd never really paid much attention to them. They also run a little higher on prices than Hobbytown. Someone had mentioned to me that they'd moved to a new location, but I'd never really thought about it beyond that. I found myself with a little time to kill and wanted to look at the new Space Wolves, so I went to Hobbytown first. They were sold out. So I spent some time searching for the new location of All About Games and finally called to find out where they were, as it turned out that the driving directions on my phone had a wrong turn or two in them.

At the shop they were sold out of Space Wolves, but the lady at the counter did pull out a couple of the sprues so I could see the parts first-hand. She also offered to set aside some figures from the next shipment for me. I thanked her and declined, then had a look around the store. The back of the store had a gaming area filled with role-players doing their thing. The shop carries a lot more variety than Hobbytown. They had some scenic bases, I saw a rack full of that fantasy sea battle game (Uncharted Seas?), and a really big shelf of used game books. I almost picked up a copy of the HERO System starter book from there, but I haven't heard from my friend if he plans on running that campaign and would rather not buy a book until he decides on an edition (6th edition just dropped, but a new RPG system is a big investment). They also had a boxed set of Blood Bowl and a whole pile of blisters for that game. I've been wanting to try that out as it seems like a lot of fun, but the sticker price drove me away for the moment. That pretty much sums up the high points that I noticed.

Some of the staff seemed like your typical elitist too-good-to-talk-to-a-customer-I-don't-recognize game store clerks, but the lady who helped me out was professional and helpful. Come to think of it, I've seen her around at the other game shops and the old location for that store playing Warmachine/Hordes. If I buy any more hobby stuff in the near future I may try to put some of that money into their register, just as a way to help a decent FLGS running. They don't seem to have a website up, so I won't link to it, but if you're in the Boise area you might want to drop in and check it out.

1 comment:

  1. uncharted seas is very fun, its allmost like Man-O-War just not as broken. Give it a shot if you can. We are all still waiting for their space game to be released, if ever

    ReplyDelete