22 April 2010

Sci-Fi Greatcoats from Wargames Factory and Recent (In)Activity

Real life has been pretty busy the last couple of weeks. I found some time to put together a rank of Greatswords for my Empire army, but that's about it on the hobby front. I cleaned up the hobby room a little bit, but it's not really noticeable. I've got so much stuff stashed on every shelf that it has become very difficult to store new purchases. I guess that's a sign that there are too many boxes of figures, at least in that one room.

And on the subject of putting figures together, I need to branch off into a little side rant. It may just be me, but the nozzle of every container of model glue I buy plugs up well before I have used up all the glue inside. The only way I am able to get a good amount of use out of my glue is to build an entire army in one or two sessions over a couple of days. If I go much beyond a couple of weeks the nozzle clogs up and I wind up spending thirty minutes getting the glue flowing again or injuring myself with whatever sharp implement I'm using as an unclogging tool. Or both. Just wondering if that's a common problem or if I'm just doing it wrong. The glue I buy looks like this:
Wargames Factory has announced the release of some Sci Fi Troopers in Greatcoats. One of the many things these guys could stand in for are the Games Workshop/Forge World Death Korps of Krieg Imperial Guard army. Eighteen of these guys will cost you $19.95 plus shipping from the Wargames Factory site, with a few pre-order deals going on at the moment. Ten Krieg infantry will cost you about $54.00 plus shipping at the current exchange rates. Of course with the Wargames Factory release you don't have access to some of the iconic Krieg options, like the cavalry and artillery, but you could flesh out a decent infantry and vehicle force without selling a kidney to fund it. I've currently got plans (and figures) for a different Imperial Guard force, but in the future I may come back to this one.

I don't have much else going on at the moment in the hooby realm. Hopefully in between writing papers this weekend I will find some time to put together a few more Empire figures and/or slap some paint on my last few Space Marines. Well, the last few that I have put together, that is.

I have decided on a theme for my Empire army. They are going to be from Middenheim/Middenland, with a few religious crazies thrown in for good measure. The history of Middenland seems to contain a lot of conflict against Beastmen, and the colors are a little different from most of my armies. Pretty much everything else I paint is green in either uniform or skin color, so blue and white may be a nice colorful diversion. I read in the fluff somewhere that mortars are used when fighting the Beastmen, because their higher arc of fire allows them to be used in the forests where Beastmen are found. Cannons have a hard time in the woods because of their lower trajectory. So my force will include some mortars to fit in with the theme.

3 comments:

  1. I've been eying those new Sci-Fi Greatcoats for a while as well (so has EVERYONE else is seems), I can't wait for them to come out. They'll find a use for me somewhere, somehow.

    These guys are really cranking out some good figs, great prices, and they're doing it right. Having seen many of their Vikings, completed on the tabletop I'm impressed even moreso.

    ReplyDelete
  2. the picture looks like Darth Vader dressed up like a Nazi soldier

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Wargames Factory figures seem to get very mixed reviews. I think most everyone agrees that their first offerings were a bit weak.

    Opinions of the Vikings run from, "They're horrible lumps of plastic that take forever to put together and only somewhat approximate human anatomy!" to, "I love them so much! I have been waiting years for plastic Vikings! The detail and customization options are amazing!"

    I like the figures. I don't really come from the old school mindset in which all the figures are metal and all of them are in the same pose, so I appreciate the versatility of plastic figure kits. Some of the joins between arms and torsos can be a little unsightly, but I see it as an acceptable problem mandated by the modular nature of the plastic kit.

    I really do like the Greatcoat sci-fi soldiers. Yes, Eve, they do look a bit like the bastard love child of Darth Vader and a German soldier. In the dark future, even the good guys are bad guys. If you look at the Death Korps of Krieg storyline and the "official" dioramas they spend most of their time in muddy, awful trenches reminiscent of World War One. The Forge World Death Korps cavalry even have gas masks for their horses, an actual item used in WWI.

    ReplyDelete