We may be nearing the end of the house-hunting process. As of my last house update, we were waiting on the appraiser to go in and appraise the house. He went through and found something that needed painted and a couple of pieces of siding that he wanted replaced before he would bless off on the loan. Additionally, he appraised the house at $4000 less than what we had offered on it and wouldn't go any higher.
The siding and paint weren't a big deal as the other agent has been more than willing to fix things that need done in order to close the deal. The $4000 was kind of a big deal as it meant we would either have to offer that much less and see if the bank would accept it or come up with the $4000 on our own to make up the difference between the loan and the price. Bah!
We sent in an offer for $4000 less and waited. Yesterday the bank finally came back and accepted the lower offer, so things so far are still working out. Now we have to wait for the siding and paint to be finished so the appraiser can go back in and approve it. If that goes well we should be clear to go ahead and get the house. I hope we stay there for a while, because I don't want to go through that process again. At least at the end of this latest ordeal we came away with a nice little discount.