17 August 2010

I Wish I Was a Little Bit Taller

Yesterday I was invited to a friendly family basketball night with various cousins and uncles.  I wish I could honestly say that I played well, but there is ample video evidence that would refute my tall tales.  I did have a few good passes and cut to the hoop once or twice in spectacular fashion, but on most plays I could be found out of position on defense or taking a bad shot when an open teammate was in full view.  I guess I have some learning to do.  I joke that the game was less-than-friendly, but I think tempers only got going once or twice over the 2 1/2 hours we played, slightly less than you'd expect when eight guys are engaging in competition.  I was slightly embarrassed that I failed to bring extra shoes, socks, and shirt to wear to and from the court.  Apparently there are court shoes and street shoes, and the two should never be one and the same.  I have missed out on some athletic traditions by never participating in organized sports.

I also wish I could say that I felt good afterward, but I spent the night with a splitting headache and much of today hurting just about everywhere.  Perhaps some more frequent exercise is in order?  I would like to be able to play an evening of ball without having a full-body hangover for the next two days.  After the game my Uncle Clair treated everyone to frozen monstrosities known as Boston Shakes, a massive milkshake topped with a sundae.  It was ridiculous.  Of course, not finishing dessert would be seen as a sign of weakness, so I managed to get it all down and keep it down.  In spite of the pain and the humiliation, I had a good time and would definitely do it again.  I was a little miffed, though, as when the invitation was made I was promised there would be an RPG table there.  I didn't see any such thing, not even a matching set of dice or a pile of sourcebooks.

Today I finished up the rest of my yardwork.  The back yard is still a mess, but no one can see that through the trees and brush on the canal banks.  I got the important stuff pulled out, mowed, and even sprayed some weed killer and laid down a few bags of bark.

Tomorrow we are getting some family pictures taken, which I'm pretty sure will be the first time we've ever had pictures taken of us together.  I guess that's kind of sad, considering we've been married for almost six years now.  I hope we can get the boy to at least stay in the frame, if not somewhat still and looking at the camera.

2 comments:

  1. Mike promised me the same RPG table at half court. Lies to lure us in? Oh, does Uncle Mike's treachery know no bounds?

    Seriously, you played good. We had it going on in game two. My leg only hurts when I'm conscious. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was very impressed with your play...Arthur also played very well. It would be very scary if both of you got more court time to refine your skills....

    ReplyDelete